17 Reasons I would be the worst YA heroine

Discussion, Featured, List

Reasons I would be the worst YA heroine

Wherein I am sarcastic and sassy and use gifs to express myself.

The other day I was sitting there thinking about all the things some YA heroines go through and how much they sacrifice themselves for others. I started criticising one heroine and thinking she was so selfish, and then I wondered, what kind of YA heroine would I be? So I compiled a list, and I found out I’d probably be the worst. Yup. Are you ready? 😉

One

If I got a superpower or gift, it would be more likely that I would use it for my own selfish gains (#realtalk). I might be willing to help for the greater good and all that later, but I’m just saying I’d be pretty darn busy having a great time using my superpowers and being awesome. I regret nothing.

beingawesome

Two

If I found out I was a princess from some magical (or non-magical) place, I wouldn’t be all “oh? It can’t be me?” I’d be all “I frickin’ told you so now where’s my throne and my 10 course meal”.

princess

Three

I would not cut my hair short in a moment of dramatic self realisation because I like it long. And luscious. (Personal preference. Problem?)

hairflip

Four

I’d want my hair to change into some wacky colour or at least have streaks of a wacky colour, which would probably happen too too much exertion of my power, whatever that may be.

storm

Five

I need to eat. Like really often. And a lot. I’m not joking. I get feral without food.

hungry

Six

I also need to sleep. But not so much, because I am a night owl. Hoot hoot.

awake

Seven

I like naps. Mostly because I don’t sleep as much as I should, so we’d need to schedule those in between all my saving the world tasks and whatnot.

nap

Eight

Can I bring my cat? Because I’ll surely miss her. And complain about it.

cat

Nine

How many books could I bring in a rucksack whilst trying to save the earth from it’s impending doom? I’ll need one for each week, you know.

books

Ten

Will I have to choose? Books or food?

decisions

Eleven

Will there be cupcakes?

cupcake

Twelve

Or any kind of cake?

cake

Thirteen

I would freak out if I got scars on my face. Unless they were pretty scars, if that makes any sense whatsoever. Like “Oooh, that girl definitely just saved the earth and overthrew the baddies” kind of scar. A battle scar. Okay I actually want a scar. #thuglife

battle

Fourteen

I would probably shout out “plot twist” way too often when things go wrong because I’m funny like that and my sense of humour is on point.

plottwist

Fifteen

If I was the chosen one, I’d probably get a badge saying “chosen one” and wear it all the time. I’m not proud of myself. (Or am I?)

chosen one

Sixteen

As I tend to find it difficult to get along really well with people, I’d be really picky with who I’d bring on my quest (okay I know there was no mention of a quest but it’s neither here nor there and maybe a girl just wants what a girl wants, you know?) #squad

squad

Seventeen

Lastly and most importantly: I am a lazy slug

slug

Would you be a good YA heroine?

Previous Story
Next Story

33 Comments

Dani (@dani_reviews)
    March 17, 2016 at 1:13 pm

OMG THIS WAS HILARIOUS. And so, so true. For me as well ahahahaha.

You clearly need a techie and therapist on your #squad, yes?

Omobola
    March 17, 2016 at 2:57 pm

Another interesting topic! I think you have a very amusing sense of humor and I can relate to some of these points, I mean who doesn’t want to be a princess or queen and rule over everyone. I will definitely be that very judgy princess that lords her awesomeness over everyone and has one hell of a man candy on her arm or both arms who cares. They have to be really hot too and I won’t stop them when they are fighting over me.

Chantelle
    March 17, 2016 at 4:11 pm

Omg! This is hilarious! 14 and 15 made me crack up laughing. I’d want food and books as well – I don’t travel light, so I’d need someone to carry all my books.

Lucia @Reading Is My Breathing
    March 18, 2016 at 1:04 pm

LOL, I love this post! Especially your desire to have “Oooh, that girl definitely just saved the earth and overthrew the baddies” kind of scar 😀 I am sure it would suit you 😉
    And I would be very bad YA heroine as well because I would do nothing but read books and drink teas and would not have time to save worlds LOL

The Weekly Recap (183) - Nick & Nereyda's Infinite Book List
    March 19, 2016 at 6:29 am

[…] with audiobooks and wants to know how you listen to them. Anissa at She Reads Too Much shares 17 funny reasons why she would be the worst YA heroine. Megan at Reading Books Like a Boss has a very awesome page for all upcoming book […]

Lara @ Another Teen Reader
    March 19, 2016 at 12:35 pm

Ha! This post made me laugh so much: I’ve always thought I’d be the one who died on page two of a novel, so as heroine I’d just spend my time crying and demanding hot chocolate. But, judging by this, we could form an anti-heroine club together ;-).

Also, I watched the episode of SUITS that first GIF comes from today, and seeing it made me squee so much!

Alyssa @ The Devil Orders Takeout
    March 19, 2016 at 1:08 pm

OMG, this is so hilarious but also SO RELATABLE. Because like 80% of these are also me. I’d definitely be a bratty princess. And I’d sleep a lot. And definitely read a lot of books. I think I’d make a terrible YA heroine too, but perhaps I’d make a passably interesting minor character who shows the heroine an Important Book to lead her on her Quest? Ahahaha.

Thank you for stopping by The Devil Orders Takeout!

Rachel
    March 19, 2016 at 4:28 pm

Haha great post! I so agree with 1. If I got super powers, my first thought probably wouldn’t be for the greater good… Sleep and long hair are two things I require. I wouldn’t be one our those heroines who’d forget the last time she ate or would dramatically cut off her hair. And you can bet that I’d get 12 hours of sleep each night. It doesn’t matter who’s after me, I might as well get a good night’s rest and look refreshed and awesome the next day! ;D

Suze
    March 19, 2016 at 8:03 pm

Fantastic post, very funny! I would probably be too much of a goodie goodie to be a superhero :).

Mel@thedailyprophecy
    March 20, 2016 at 11:31 am

Haha. I would probably be a terrible hero, because no way I would sacrifice myself or do something scary to save the world :’) I value my life too much. I would also use my powers for other things than only being noble, haha.

Emily @ Loony Literate
    March 20, 2016 at 11:50 am

THIS POST IS AMAZING AND I AM BASICALLY YOU. I mean, I’d also be a terrible heroine. I’m feral without sleep – we make a good pair. And actually, the MC in my Alice in Wonderland retelling is always saying “plot twist” so clearly I’m a mind-reader.

Alise
    March 21, 2016 at 1:08 am

Ahaha I also say plot twist out loud whenever something weird happens in reality. The ability to have awesome hair colors-need. I think the number one reason I wouldn’t want to be a YA heroine is because I definitely don’t want to end up with a weird name like Mare or America or Katsa xD

On a side note, I realize you’ve influenced my reading because I just finished ADSOM and then picked up Rebel of the Sands haha. Ah well, they are good reads so it’s all good 😉

Jess @ Little Book Heaven
    March 21, 2016 at 4:52 am

I love this post, Anissa! I like my hair long as well. And I definitely love my sleep. But I would love to have a superpower though. 🙂

Inge
    March 21, 2016 at 1:38 pm

Dude, I don’t even have anything sensible to say. Just YES. Hahahaha. If I was the chosen one, you would all be majorly screwed. Just sayin’. No regrets. Where’s the cake?

Denise
    March 21, 2016 at 5:16 pm

Ahh this is perfect! I totally agree with you! I wouldn’t be able to live with the lack of sleep/food most protagonists seem to get. One of the main problems for me would be the lack of hygiene too! Some people who know me call me a germaphobe… I shower twice a day, wash my hair every day, and always carry hand sanitiser. I don’t think cutting my hair would be a problem though… I have super short hair already! I have it in a supershot bob/boyish cut type style. I like it super short, but my Mum doesn’t let me!

Amazing discussion post, Anissa ♥
    Denise | The Bibliolater

Shaunna @ Books Over Bros
    March 21, 2016 at 11:09 pm

I feel this post so much. Amazing. I am definitely too much a fan of sleep to be out saving the world all of the time.

Kristen @ Metaphors and Moonlight
    March 22, 2016 at 1:49 am

Hahaha I too would make a terrible YA heroine, but for me it’s mostly because I’m a coward. I would so not be charging into battles guns-a-blazin and going into scary places to save people and facing down villains in epic sword fights or magic battles. Nope. I’m fine with heights though. So if I obtained the power to fly and someone needed saving off a tall building, I could handle that. But that’s about it lol.

Jordan @ The Heart of a Book Blogger
    March 22, 2016 at 7:19 pm

Ah, such a fun (and hilarious) post! I definitely don’t think I’d be a great at being a YA heroine either, I’ll just stick to reading about them! PS – I love your new blog theme! So beautiful!!

Jordan @ The Heart of a Book Blogger
    March 22, 2016 at 7:20 pm

Tika
    March 23, 2016 at 5:52 pm

I absolutely HAVE to do this tag! Wait is it a tag?? Hopefully so. Anywho, I agree with pretty much everything you’ve listed! How can these characters forget to eat, or cut off their hair being all dramatic? I’m so doing this asap, thanks for coming up with the idea 🙂

Rin @ Under Covers
    March 25, 2016 at 7:14 pm

I LOVE this post lol! I found myself yelling “saaaame” on most numbers haha. I don’t think i’d make a very good heroine either seeing as I’m that person who walks all the way down the stairs pauses at the bottom and forgets why I came down in the first place !

Great Post! I love your blog! – Rin <3

Wattle
    March 26, 2016 at 2:34 pm

lol great post Anissa 😛 (that gif with the cat being brushed, aaawwww)

I would be a terrible YA heroine as well ‘ugh do I HAVE to?’ although I’ve already cut all my hair off, so I guess that’s one point down 😉

Maaike @ All These Lives I Live
    March 29, 2016 at 2:57 pm

Haha, omg. I just laughed so hard at this. You’re totally right, though. I don’t even want to begin thinking about what kind of heroine I would be. Most of this would apply to me as well. How fortunate that authors always seem to find these other kind of characters XD I really need to rethink the word ‘relatable’ in a bookish context it appears. Because this is WAY more relatable than what I usually define ‘relatable’. Hahaha. It’s decided folks, don’t ever put me in an apocalypse.

Focus on Followers + Big Bookish News + Around the Blogosphere | March 2016 | Princessica of Books
    March 30, 2016 at 1:58 pm

[…] Anissa @ She Reads Too Much gives 17 reasons she would be the worst YA heroine ever. […]

Javeria
    March 31, 2016 at 11:22 am

OMG! This was adorkable. I’d love a book with a heroine like you.

Jillian @ Jillian's Books
    April 1, 2016 at 11:24 am

HAHA THIS IS HILARIOUS. I do have to agree that if I were a princess, I wouldn’t be at all surprised because yo I was born a princess! Ya know??? <3 I love all the points you presented and this post is definitely A+ haha.

Jeann @ Happy Indulgence
    April 8, 2016 at 4:53 am

OMG Anissa you are absolutely hilarious! Of course you would use your powers for selfish gains, like more food and unlimited books, that sounds absolutely amazing. This is so much fun!

Marisabel
    April 16, 2016 at 12:20 pm

This is AMAZING hahahahaha <3

Karen
    July 10, 2016 at 9:27 am

I agree with all of those. Especially thuglife scars (that’s what I tell my self my little hairline scar on my cheek is, even though it’s from when I scratched myself as a baby… hahahaha)

Also: fellow Belgian alert!!! Woohoo!

Anissa
    July 21, 2016 at 7:44 pm

So this is basically a list perfectly describing me for the most part. I would totally want different colored hair, my dog, and plenty of books and cupcakes to keep me entertained. I feel like I would get myself killed by the enemy because I’m way too sarcastic for my own good! Such a lovely post!

Saturday On Wednesday
    August 10, 2016 at 1:06 pm

This was hilarious and more relatable than I am willing to admit.

I just ordered the September box – yay! Will be sure to review it on my blog https://saturdayonwednesday.com/ and you’re free to steal any of my photos with a tiny note it’s from me for any promo, I already know I will love it so any help that I can offer – I will! It’s a shame the link for representatives is not working anymore, but if you’re ever in pursuit I would love to assist <3 I can't wait for September, your box and the NerdyBookWorm are coming my way which is brilliant as I work at the University and September is going to be HELL! I need all the help I can get to get through it.
    TLDR version: thanks for being awesome <3

10 Reasons Why I Would Be The Worst YA Heroine (Or Not?) – Snow White Hates Apples
    August 14, 2016 at 2:28 pm

[…] as a Bookish Tag—or okay, maybe a bookish something, but I saw this on The Bookish Universe and She Reads Too Much, and I simply had to give my own twist to this. After all, it sounds pretty fun, […]

Miha
    February 16, 2017 at 8:13 pm

Omg :)))
    Well, I don’t know which of us would male a worst ya heroine tbh.