Mini Discussion: Maps in Books

Discussion

Mini Discussion Maps in Books

I love nothing more than when I open a new book not knowing diddly-squat about it and feasting my eyes upon a glorious map. The more detail the better – I like seeing all of that shading, them trees and seamonsters. I’m a very visual little slug, and whilst I like to think that my imagination captures most of the magical descriptions in books, I always seem to struggle when there isn’t a map involved.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s not like I’m totally lost if there isn’t a map involved, but I much prefer it. I often refer back and forth between the text and the map to look at where they’re travelling to/from, and it helps me visualise things so much better.

Some books have absolutely stunning maps. The most recent and gorgeous one I’ve seen is in The Shadow Queen by CJ Redwine (the entire binding of this book is gorgeous). Feast your eyes, and click the images to enlarge:

The Shadow Queen CJ Redwine

Then there’s the map of Red Rising by Pierce Brown, which is a book I just finished and loved (review to come soon!). I would totally binge read the whole series if I didn’t have others scheduled.

Red Rising Pierce Brown

That being said, there are many books that I love that don’t have maps, and some that don’t even need maps. I always prefer to have them though, it’s makes the world seem more, I don’t know… tangible?

Do you need maps?
What are the nicest maps you have seen?

PS. I’d also like to say a mahooooossive thank you to everyone for their support on FairyLoot, it’s been amazing! I’m sorry my posts aren’t as frequent as they usually are, I’m still getting things set up properly and it is hectic as you can imagine 😀

Previous Story
Next Story

26 Comments

Hannah @ Ninjas Read Too
    February 28, 2016 at 9:06 pm

Oh my gosh! YES! MAPS! I wish more books had maps! My favourite books with maps in must be the Throne of Glass series and Six of Crows (It has two!!!!)! The artists for them are so talented and make them look sooooo good (and not google-maps-looking.)

March 14, 2016 at 1:00 am

MAPS ARE AMAZING! I absolutely love them. The maps in ToG and SoC are both so amazing. I wonder where all these talented map artists learn such skills! xD

Gabi @ Let's Gab About Books
    February 28, 2016 at 10:19 pm

I completely agree with you, Anissa! It’s so nice to reference back and forth, it helps me put things into perspective! 🙂 My favorite maps lately have been in Carry On by Rainbow Rowell, A Court of Thorns and Roses, and Six of Crows! I also mostly just love maps aesthetically, but also for reference too. haha.

March 14, 2016 at 1:01 am

Yayyy, Gabi we are always on the same page! 😀 I really need to read Carry On. OOOh, yes, I loved the maps in ACOTAR and SoC! Gosh, I can’t wait for ACOMAF :O

Kristen @ Metaphors and Moonlight
    February 28, 2016 at 11:26 pm

Funny, I’m kind of the opposite lol. I don’t care for maps. Like, it doesn’t bother me if there is one since it’s not like it hurts anything, but I tend to hardly glance at them because they don’t help me. I guess, in my mind, I never look at anything from that big of a scope, if that makes sense? Like, I don’t zoom out that far in my head. When characters are traveling or something, I’m just seeing whatever the setting is right around them, whatever is important to the story at that moment, and it doesn’t so much matter to me which direction they’re going or whether they’ve passed a forest, etc. Although I feel like there have been a few cases in which I was a little confused by distances between settings, and a map probably could’ve helped in those!

March 14, 2016 at 1:02 am

Haha, I always just like to know wrap my head around the whole world I guess xD Especially if it’s high fantasy, I always love maps. I’m a simple little bean xD

Ichabod Temperance
    February 29, 2016 at 12:24 am

I like the maps in Neal Stevenson’s ‘Baroque Cycle’.

March 14, 2016 at 1:03 am

I’ve never heard of that, I’ll definitely have to check it out. 🙂

Alise
    February 29, 2016 at 1:45 am

Wow that map of Red Rising is awesome, I really should get around to reading that book sometime soon! I like maps because it adds to the world but I don’t pay too much attention to them. I don’t think I’ve had a chance to say this yet but congrats on Fairy Loot, it’s an awesome idea and I know it will be just great 🙂

March 14, 2016 at 1:03 am

You really should, Alise! I would love to know what you think of Red Rising 🙂 Thank you so much! <3

Brittany
    February 29, 2016 at 3:49 am

OH MY GOD, that map in THE SHADOW QUEEN is GORGEOUS!! O_O I love maps SO much, and I’m such a visual person that they really enhance the reading experience for me. Amazing post, as always!

March 14, 2016 at 1:04 am

SAAAAME. We are always on the same page, Brit! 😀 THE MAP FOR SHADOW QUEEN IS RIDICULOUSLY GORGEOUS xD Thank you so much! <3

Tasya
    February 29, 2016 at 5:19 am

I really like maps in books, like they help to visualize the world better. But personally, I don’t really use it. When I read I don’t go back and forth from the story and the map. I just keep reading and when I finished look at the map and just like “oooh… so they were like….” I really like The Grisha world map! It’s not really detailed, but it’s so easy to look and understand!

March 14, 2016 at 1:05 am

I think it depends on how much there is going on, which I find I really like to have when I’m read high fantasy xD The Grishaverse map is so gorgeous!

Lucia @Reading Is My Breathing
    February 29, 2016 at 11:36 am

I love maps! That is one of reasons why I may buy printed book instead of ebook. I cannot resist pretty maps and I love getting back to them while I read 🙂

March 14, 2016 at 1:05 am

I agree! I love them too. Great minds, Lucia! 😀

Wattle
    February 29, 2016 at 2:34 pm

I like maps! I found myself looking at one the other day when I tried to work out where the characters were lol so they are quite useful on occasion (I am geographically challenged in the real world, let alone fictional ones!)

I only use them when I’m having trouble working out a location though, I don’t really look at them when I’m about to start reading something :/

March 14, 2016 at 1:06 am

LOL, I always look at them if I’m having trouble working out a location too, but I also have a good look at them before I start reading the book. I feel like it helps me imagine everything better once I’ve started reading ^_^

Kristyn @ Reading to Unwind
    February 29, 2016 at 3:18 pm

I do like maps in the front of books. I agree I do flip back and forth when they talk about a bunch of places to see what exactly is going on. I think it does help the book move along. I struggle with family trees in the front of books until I get a feeling for the characters I feel lost with family trees. Maps are easier for me to see since you can flip back and forth and don’t need to take all that information in at once.

March 14, 2016 at 1:07 am

SAME! Especially with high fantasy. I actually have’t read any books with family trees at the front haha, but now I’m curious and really want to! xD

Mara @ Mara Was Here
    March 1, 2016 at 12:58 pm

I LOVE staring at book maps! Something about the feeling of opening a newly-bought book and finding out it has a map with it is just… *sighs*

I think every map I’ve encountered looks amazing to me, but the one I found and loved recently was the map from Leigh Bardugo’s “Six of Crows.” IT’S JUST SO BEAUTIFUL. How can one even create a fictional world THAT good?!?

March 14, 2016 at 1:12 am

MAPS ARE THEEEEE BEST, and yes omg the Grisha maps are soooo gorgeous. Bardugo is some mystical word weaving sorceress, her writing and world building is so good! 😀

Zoe @ Stories on Stage
    March 3, 2016 at 11:57 pm

Maps are the best! I agree – they really help you visualize the world better and get a sense of what’s going on. The Grisha books have great maps, as does the Winner’s trilogy. Thanks for sharing Anissa and, as always, fabulous post! ♥

March 14, 2016 at 1:16 am

They are so great, aren’t they?! The Grishaverse maps are so nice. I’ve yet to read the Winner’s trilogy actually – I really need to check it out! Thank you so much, Zoe! 🙂

Ten Interesting Posts of the Week (3/6/16) – Pages Unbound
    March 6, 2016 at 5:02 am

[…] Anissa discusses maps in books. […]

Chiara
    March 18, 2016 at 12:35 am

I don’t NEED maps, but I always really love ti when there IS a map in a book, especially if it’s super pretty! 😀 I think they just give such a nice vibe to the book, and if the characters are travelling, I can flip to the map to see where they’re going, and how long it might take them to get there.

The maps in the Grisha trilogy are some of my FAVOURITES. They are super gorgeous, and the artist has incredible skill. I wish I could draw like that *sobs*

I am also a fan of less elaborate maps, like the one in the Captive Prince books. I think they are nice, as well 😀

If I wrote fantasy novels, I would 100% want a map in my book, so I could have MY OWN MAP.