Book Hangover Cure: 8 Tips & Tricks

Discussion

book hangover cure

Wherein I reveal my [fool-proof] relatively reliable methods for getting out of your book hangover. We’ve all been through it before: we’re minding our own business and casually start reading a book, then all of a sudden WHAM — we fall hard for it. Like a think-dream-talk-draw-obsess kind of hard.

This book becomes your baby, and the characters your best friends. You will probably take it with you everywhere, and might freak out if it’s not within a 3 metre radius. You might feel an emptiness in your heart, and you can’t even fathom picking up another book yet because you can’t possibly be ready to move on and nothing will compare to this one. Sound familiar?

Yeah, I thought so. Well, having had quite a few book hangovers myself, I’ve found that these little methods really do help, and I’m here to share my penny’s worth with you.

1. Put on your comfy clothes and grab a drink

And by drink, I mean hot cocoa, tea, coffee, wine, or whatever you love, because girl, you deserve it. This is always my number one starting point – I promptly put on my snuggliest and most ridiculous looking jimjams. You’ll find me either with a mug of hot cocoa and whipped cream (always with artistically speckled cocoa powder on top), or a glass of red wine. I have no in-betweens, nor regrets.

drinking coffee gif

2. Call, text, fax, or owl your book squad

If you’ve got friends or blogging friends you can speak to, get in touch – especially with someone who loves the book as much as you. We understand you. We get it, really. Together, we can talk about everything – and nobody loves talking about books more than us.

phone

3. Search for fanart and read other reviews

I look at so much fanart of my favourite books and it always makes me feel better — unless I stumble across something that totally misinterprets how I imagined them, then I get mad… Hulk mad (refer back to point one if this happens). Reading other positive reviews is like free therapy because you sit there nodding in bliss that someone else understands and loves it like you do. And before you know it, three hours have gone by. Are we feeling better yet?

therapy

4. Start looking for similar books

I normally go straight to see if the author has any other books, or I look at books that are similar to my book hangover worthy book. After lots of searching you might find something that tickles your fancy and will help you escape this hangover with barely a scrape. If not, please refer to point 5.

another

5. Watch a TV series or movie

The struggle is real, am I right? Watching a TV series or movie can be refreshing, and totally fix a book hangover. But, if you’re like me and struggle to really like a series or movie, then you’re in a bit of a pickle – especially if you can’t find something fun to watch and soon. The ones I’ve been watching lately are The 100, The Shannara Chronicles, Reign, Narcos, and Breaking Bad (if you could recommend some good ones, I would be so grateful).

watchingtv

6. Hair of the dog

And by this, I mean rereading something reminiscent that you love. Personally, I never do this… But, I know some people that have and it’s worked for them. It’s a thing. (If I were to reread anything, it would definitely be the Throne of Glass series).

ron weasley

7. Take a break

Try taking a little break from reading – don’t think about it for a couple of days, or try to force yourself to read something. There’s no rush, those books aren’t going anywhere. Normally, the urge to read comes back (we can’t live for long without a book, can we?) and when it does it will feel natural to you.

namaste

8. Start small and be patient

Sometimes it’s best to go for a short book, so it’s less daunting, or try reading the first chapter of a couple of books, until one clicks. Once, I read the first chapter of 5 books until I finally decided I would continue with one. It will come back to you eventually, all things heal in time my young Padawan.

soon

Are these tips & tricks useful?
How do you cure your book hangovers?

Previous Story
Next Story

41 Comments

Denise
    February 8, 2016 at 5:34 pm

These are such great tips! The thing that usually works best for me is re-reading a favourite. Sometimes it’s a whole book, or other times I just read some of my favourite chapters! Another thing that usually works is read a book I know I’m definitely going to love. Usually it’s a contemporary, so it’s easy to get into! 😀

Denise | The Bibliolater

March 13, 2016 at 9:58 pm

Haha, I’m so glad enjoyed them! 🙂 Those are also great cures, although I have yet to re-read a favourite… I think I shall have to soon. xD

Yvonne @ A World Between Folded Pages
    February 8, 2016 at 6:44 pm

Reading shorter books helps me quite a lot … or taking a break. Or looking up fanart and spamming my friends with my love for the book/characters. Yes, they might be annoyed but at least I feel better then, haha. 😀 I really like all your tips and hopefully remember this post when I’m in a book hangover the next time … I think it has been quite a while since the last one? I can’t even remember, oops.

And as of TV series … *chants & tries to hynoptize you* WATCH TEEN WOLF AND SUPERNATURAL. WATCH TEEN WOLF AND SUPERNATURAL. WATCH TEEN WOLF AND SUPERNATURAL. *makes ridiculous hand movements* DOOOOO IT.

March 13, 2016 at 9:59 pm

I NEEEEEEED TO WATCH TEEN WOLF AND ESPECIALLY SUPERNATURAL. I watched the first 2 seasons of Teen Wolf and loved it, but never started watching again when season 3 came out because I was so busy ahha. I’m definitely going to have to soon! 😀 <3 <3

Kristyn @ Reading to Unwind
    February 8, 2016 at 7:30 pm

I love these tips! I do get stuck after reading a book that I love I also slowly read it since I don’t actually want it to be done. I am a big fan of trying to find something similar, but it is never the same.

March 13, 2016 at 10:01 pm

I’m glad you loved them! 😀 Yes, it’s sometimes hard to find something similar… Sometimes, changing to contemporary helps a lot for me! 🙂

Bec @ Readers in Wonderland
    February 9, 2016 at 12:21 am

These are all things I do regularly during a book hangover! Sometimes they work, sometimes they don’t. I really like looking at fanart and edits after finishing and punching myself in the feels for that. Stalking author’s inspiration pinterest boards is another thing I do.

March 13, 2016 at 10:04 pm

Fanart is just theeee best, and it can get you in the feels so bad haha. Stalking the author in general is another thing I do xD (in a totally not creepy way haha xD)

Alecia
    February 9, 2016 at 4:19 am

Some really great tips Anissa! I already do some of them but will definitively give the others a go. One thing I always do after I’ve finished a great book and want more s look for fanfiction!! Though not as popular in the book genre, if the book is popular enough I might find myself lucky with a few great fanfics! Oh and a T.V suggestion? Peaky Blinders is amazing and the third season should be starting soon!!

March 13, 2016 at 10:13 pm

Thank you so much, Alecia! 🙂 I should check out fanfiction of my favourite books sometime. Peaky Blinders, you say.. I’m definitely going to check it out! Thanks for the rec! 😀

Kristen @ Metaphors and Moonlight
    February 9, 2016 at 5:37 am

Hahaha this post is awesome. I’m pretty sure I’m still having a book hangover from last January with this one series I read because I’m still thinking about it 0.0 (but I’m still waiting for the damn last book). The problem with looking for similar books is that nothing will ever compare, and you’ll just end up disappointed with everything. But reading short, light books can help! At least for me because it’s like a palate cleanser. I don’t expect to love those kinds of books, but they just get me moving forward again lol.

The problem with fanart is that the books I love are usually self-published and don’t have fanart 🙁 And unfortunately I’m not good enough to make my own or I so would.

As for TV shows, I love Suits! I’ve never been into legal shows, but the CHARACTERS are just so amazing that I got totally hooked.

March 13, 2016 at 10:14 pm

Thank you so much! 😀 I wish I was good at drawing, then I’d draw so much fanart. I really should give it a try someday. xD Watch them be like stickmen haha. I’ve watched Suits, and it’s pretty good! I should definitely pick it up again, I think I stopped mid season 2 (I can’t remember why though haha).

Mara @ Mara Was Here
    February 9, 2016 at 10:07 am

Is it so coincidental that I’ve found this blog post of yours while I’m in the middle of a TID hangover? *starts sniffing again because WILL HERONDALE*

I shall snuggle myself with a blanket and feed me stomach some marshmallows why I violently share my feels to my book buddies on the internet (I’m so grateful they haven’t logged off on me to be honest. My caps lock is literally intense when I get the feels.) IT’S JUST REALLY PAINFUL OKAY. THE LOSS. THE REALIZATION THAT YOU’LL NEVER GET TO READ MORE OF THEM AGAIN. (Unless, of course, the author has kindly written another series about him/her or something. Or if I re-read the book. BUT THAT IS ENTIRELY DIFFERENT.)

*sniffs* Fun post, Anissa!

March 13, 2016 at 10:27 pm

Ahhhh, The TID. You will need marshmallows and many delicious foods for that ahah. SO MANY FEELS xD I hope this post helps! <3

Lucia @Reading Is My Breathing
    February 9, 2016 at 10:45 am

Making/Checking fanrt helps to deal with book hangover! Re-reading the book that caused book hangover helps me as well LOL
    But the most successful trick that has always helped me to get from book hangover is re-reading my other all time favorites. Starting new books during book hangover usually leads to me DNFing book.

March 13, 2016 at 10:27 pm

Omg, you re-read the book that caused the bookhangover? LOL. I am impressed! 😀

Maaike @ All These Lives I Live
    February 9, 2016 at 1:47 pm

I used to catch myself talking to myself about a book. God, that was.. something. Haha. It’s why I started blogging in the first place. I had to talk about it. To someone. ANYONE. And talking about it helps to get over it – for me. But I wholeheartedly agree with your tips! There’s many I use too. Like reading reviews, watching tv shows (which I do when I’m not hung over too xp), rereading.. Ugh, first world problems, right? 🙂

March 13, 2016 at 10:28 pm

LOL, that is too funny, Maaike! xD Yes, book blogging is SUCH a good release because none of my real life friends read. 😀

Alyssa @ The Devil Orders Takeout
    February 9, 2016 at 3:29 pm

YES FANART AND FANFICTION. Unfortunately, while it helps in the short term, in the long run it just makes me even more unwilling to pick up new books. I think a really really well-recommended book is a great solution to a book hangover! After that, though, I’ll just be stuck in an even worse one XD XD

March 13, 2016 at 10:30 pm

FANART AND FANFICTION IS THE BEST! 😀 Really well-recommended books are great too!

Daniela Ark
    February 11, 2016 at 3:04 pm

lol love this post! so funny 🙂 I’m such a ADD reader (or person in general) I do most of your suggestions even if I’m not hung over lol like starting 5 books at the same time 🙂

March 13, 2016 at 10:32 pm

Haha, I’m so glad you loved it! 😀 Wow, I’m impressed – I swear people that can read many books at one time have like a super power or something. xD

czai
    February 11, 2016 at 7:49 pm

#7, taking a break works for me. I also try to read something different from the book that buried me in the slump or maybe a book from my fave genre 🙂

March 13, 2016 at 10:32 pm

It’s always good to try taking a break if you’re in a hangover 🙂 It works pretty well for me too!

Nikki Wang
    February 13, 2016 at 4:05 am

So many book hangovers and book slumps 🙁 I remember after I finished the last book in the Iron Fey series I couldn’t read anything except previous books in the series haha. FABULOUS TIPS <333 Probably going to refer to this post many many many times in the future lol.

March 13, 2016 at 10:38 pm

Hahaha, I’m so glad you like it! Ah, I still have not read the Iron Fey series… I really must soon! xD

Omobola
    February 13, 2016 at 12:42 pm

I am guilty of this, I read a book I love so much that I spend every waking moment with it and I sometimes dream about it too. I am also guilty of pulling tricks, 3-5. I sometimes re-read books too and my favorite is the entire Inheritance cycle series or Harry potter, I have done that several times now. I watch movies and series to sometimes take my mind of it too but doing nothing at all is so not an option. Great article Anissa and I will sure try to get in contact with other book freaks like me to see if they feel the same way.

March 13, 2016 at 10:38 pm

Thank you so much! Haha, well, I’m always up for talking about books! 😀

Jordan @ The Heart of a Book Blogger
    February 13, 2016 at 9:19 pm

I love going through fan art after finishing a book I love…the worst is when there isn’t any yet, though! I also definitely love gushing about it to my bookish friends! Sometimes I just naturally take a break for a couple days after reading a wonderful book.

March 13, 2016 at 10:39 pm

It is totally the worst when there isn’t fanart yet! I wish I could draw better because then I would totally attempt to do my own haha xDxD

Ten Interesting Posts of the Week (2/14/16) – Pages Unbound
    February 14, 2016 at 5:02 am

[…] Anissa lists 8 tips and tricks to cure you of your book hangover. […]

Wattle
    February 14, 2016 at 2:03 pm

Haha this is perfect, I just came off a book hangover. My solution is ill advised though, I just started reading the series again *shrugs* usually I’d go read a silly contemporary, but I couldn’t do it!

March 13, 2016 at 10:42 pm

Haha, so glad you liked it! It’s funny, a lot of people have seemed to say that rereading the series again is what they do – I might have to try that someday xD

Cari
    February 21, 2016 at 10:10 pm

Okay so, first off, YOUR BLOG IS SO PRETTY. OHMYGOODNESS. <33

Secondly, this post is perfect. Usually taking a break or reading a short book works for me but I'll definitely try the rest of these one day, haha.

March 14, 2016 at 12:36 am

Ahhhh, thank you SO much, Cari! <3
      I'm glad you loved the post too - I can't wait to check out your blog!

Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews
    February 22, 2016 at 8:17 pm

Bookhangovers are definitely real, and the reason why I only read three books in the past two weeks, rather than ten… But that’s OK, I’m all better now. I love your different points on how to get over it, though, especially the red wine one 😉
    As for TV shows, I don’t watch much, but I absolutely love Orphan Black!

March 14, 2016 at 12:47 am

Haha, I’m so glad you liked it! 😀 Red wine is simply the best. I’ll definitely have to check out Orphan Black, thanks for the rec!

Jess @ Little Book Heaven
    February 22, 2016 at 11:13 pm

Awesome tips, Anissa! 🙂
    I just recently went through a reading slump and no book could hold my interest. I started catching up on my tv shows, Castle and The Originals.

March 14, 2016 at 12:47 am

Thank you, Jess! 🙂 I started watching The Originals but need to try it again, I think I would really enjoy it as I used to really like Vampire Diaries!

Loz
    February 24, 2016 at 1:30 am

I’m new her love your reviews. Some good tips hers to try. My tip is to read a non fiction book or magazine that I’m interested in to help. I think I have found people like me, lol. None of my friends read the books I love. And I’m looking forward to trying your fairy loot subscription. I hope it is a success for you.

March 14, 2016 at 12:52 am

Eeep, thank you so much, Loz! That means so much to me 🙂 I’ve actually never tried reading a non fiction book – I should definitely give that a go next time haha. If you ever do try FairyLoot one day, I really hope you love it! Thank you so much for dropping by. 🙂